What Star Plastics is Doing About the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Star Plastics supports the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and, as a company born as a recycler, it is part of our DNA. We’re currently addressing (or continuing to address) several of these SDGs to lead to a more sustainable business and world.
See what we’re doing on the following select goals.
3 – Good Health and Well-Being
- Employees participate in several health challenges throughout the year including water intake, walking and weight loss challenges.
- Star sponsors local school sports teams
- Employees participate in charity walks for good causes.
4 – Quality Education
- Star has sponsored a scholarship for a local college-bound teen for the last four years.
- We are partners in education including a formal partnership with Henry J. Kaiser Elementary in Ravenswood, WV, Star’s hometown.
- Employees read to students, participate in mentoring activities, community days, playground funding and building.
- Star participates in job fairs for the high school and the community
- Star funds a tuition reimbursement plan for our employees.
5 – Gender Equality
- Star reports annually to the state of West Virginia on the percentage of women we employ.
- Many employees attend the Women Breaking the Mold conference each November, one of the premier events for female professionals in the plastics industry.
- We’re proud to employ and continue to promote women in sales, customer service, logistics, supply chain, the labs, human resources, production and more.
9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Star’s resins are used in innovative products throughout our customer base
- We provide a wide range of compounds with sustainable, recycled, and/or biomaterial components.
11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Star’s products help reduce weight in vehicles and construction materials, including electric vehicles.
- We promote energy efficiency in homes and buildings by manufacturing products that go into lighting control products.
- Star provides a wide range of recycled resins to its customers, many that are UL-certified for the percentage content of recycled materials.
12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
- Star’s hazardous waste management promotes responsible consumption and production in our plants.
- We track our diverted materials with a goal to reduce material going to landfill by 75% by the end of 2023
- We re-utilize “scrap” material to make new/recycled products.
13 – Climate Action
- Star promotes increasing energy efficiency in the production of our products, including new energy-efficient production lines and the use of recycled materials.
- We’re working hard to reduce our energy consumption at both our West Virginia plants and plan to reduce consumption at both by 10% by the end of 2023.